De-Villiers Getty-copyDismayed by South Africa's capitulation, former skipper Graeme Smith said the Proteas were simply unrecognisable during their timid loss to India in the do-or-die Champions Trophy clash.

South Africa were hammered by eight wickets in the virtual quarterfinal match, in which they could only post 191 after being invited to bat.

"I still care deeply about the environment that I spent so much time building as a player, and it hurts to see such an unrecognisable South Africa performance," Smith wrote in his column for the ICC's official website.

News Source: News18

Posted On Tuesday, 13 June 2017 10:29

SSLIVEKUMBLE1Anil Kumble will remain India’s coach for the tour of West Indies subject to his acceptance, Committee of Administrators (CoA) chairman Vinod Rai said on Monday, insisting that only the Cricket Advisory Committee (CAC) will decide the next head coach.

“Coach selection has been entrusted to the CAC, which selected Anil Kumble last year for a one-year contract. Now the process has to be followed. But since the process has been delayed, Kumble, subject to his accepting, will be there for the West Indies tour", Mr. Rai told reporters after a meeting of the CoA in New Delhi.

“The CAC is meeting in London to decide upon the road ahead", he added.

India will tour the West Indies for a five ODI series starting June 23, followed by a lone Twenty20 match on July 9.

The CoA, now a three-member panel after the controversial exit of historian Ramachandra Guha, had the day-long meeting.

Asked whether coach recruitment could have been handled better by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), Mr. Rai said the matter was blown out of proportion with reports claiming a rift between captain Virat Kohi and Kumble.

“The fact is that it was a one year contract, so a process was followed. I don’t know why the controversy. I have spoken to both of them and neither of them have confirmed what has come out", he said.

The CAC comprising Sachin Tendulkar, VVS Laxman and Sourav Ganguly - is currently in London and is in touch with both the captain and the coach on the sidelines of the ongoing Champions Trophy.

The CAC, which is in favour of retaining Kumble, has sought more time ahead of the BCCI SGM June 26.

“We have left it to the CAC, they are legends, they know what is best for Indian cricket",said Mr. Rai, who also rubbished a report claiming that the CAC had asked to be paid for the honorary job.

Mr. Guha, in his scathing resignation letter, had lashed out at the BCCI’s functioning, besides alleging conflict of interest in the case of Rahul Dravid, who is India A coach and also a mentor of the Delhi Daredevils IPL franchise.

The former batsman had sought more clarity on the subject so that he can take an informed decision.

To address a host of conflict of interest issues, the BCCI will soon have an ethics officer.

“All issues regarding conflict of interest will be referred to the ethics officer appointed by the BCCI. He will be appointed soon. A lot of complaints regarding conflict of interest have been received,” said Mr. Rai, adding that Mr. Guha’s resignation would be forwarded to the Supreme Court.

The CoA was formed mainly to carry out reforms recommended by the Supreme Court-appointed Lodha Committee. As expected, some of the recommendations, including one State and one vote and tenure of office-bearers, were met with stiff resistance by the State associations.

However, Mr. Rai insisted that reforms were on track and would be placed before the State associations at the SGM.

“The reforms are on track. They will be entrusted to the SGM, which is meeting on June 26. It is going to be placed before them but in all our conversations with them. They have expressed their willingness to accept the reforms,” he said.

News Source: TheHindu News

Posted On Tuesday, 13 June 2017 10:18

170613000646-11-nba-finals-game-5-exlarge-169Kevin Durant joined the Golden State Warriors to win his first NBA championship.

Mission accomplished:

The Warriors defeated the Cleveland Cavaliers 129-120 in Game 5 of the NBA Finals, clinching their second title in three years and their fifth in team history, avenging the loss to Cleveland after blowing a 3-1 lead a year ago.
Durant led Golden State with 39 points, seven rebounds and five assists and was named NBA Finals MVP in a unanimous vote. He scored 30 or more points in all five Finals games.
"I couldn't sleep for two days",Durant told reporter Doris Burke. "I was anxious. I was jittery. I just wanted to lay it all out there".
Following Monday's win, he embraced his mother, Wanda Durant, on the court.
"I'm proud of you, son," she said.
Said Stephen Curry of his teammate: "The way that he embraced the opportunity in The Finals, it was unbelievable".

News Source: CNN News

Posted On Tuesday, 13 June 2017 10:09

Rafael-nadalGrowing up as a prodigy on the Spanish island of Majorca, Rafael Nadal dreamed of winning just one French Open title.

Now he has 10.

Nadal has always been a modest superstar, avoiding public displays of entitlement with the same assiduity that he employs arranging the beverage bottles on the court in front of his chair. But there could be no avoiding the encomiums or the obvious on Sunday as Nadal, after a nervous start, crushed the suspense out of another French Open final against a strong opponent, routing Stan Wawrinka, 6 - 2, 6 - 3, 6 - 1, in 2 hours 5 minutes.

“Rafa, this is one of the most beautiful exploits in the history of a sport,” Fabrice Santoro, the former French star turned French Open interviewer, said as he approached Nadal on the court just after his quest for a 10th title — La Décima, in his native Spanish — became a reality.

It is no doubt a sporting achievement for the ages: No other men’s tennis player has won more than seven singles titles at the same Grand Slam event. And it is also surely time for a new favorite number for Nadal.

Once a very promising soccer player, Nadal has long favored the No. 9, traditionally worn by strikers. But the No. 10 is what has kept bringing him joy and fulfillment this spring. He won a record 10th singles title on the clay in Monte Carlo and again in Barcelona.

That he managed it in Paris, too, came as a surprise to no one, certainly not the tournament organizers. After Nadal’s victory, they unfurled a No. 10 banner in the stands high above Court Philippe Chatrier and had a No. 10 painted on the podium. Also at the ready was a highlight video that showed all 10 of his championship points dating to 2005.

“In 2005, I thought in 2017 I’d be fishing on my boat in Majorca,” Nadal said. “Back then, of course, I couldn’t think even for a second that this would ever happen to me.”

“I try my best in all events — that’s the real thing. But the feeling I have here is impossible to describe and difficult to compare to another place. For me, the nerves, the adrenaline that I feel when I play in this court is impossible to compare to another feeling. Just for me, it’s the most important event in my career, without a doubt.”

This was arguably Nadal’s most dominant performance at Roland Garros. It was the third time he won the event without dropping a set, but he lost only 35 games this time — the second fewest by an Open - era men’s champion at a Grand Slam event in which all the matches were best - of - five sets. Bjorn Borg, the poker - faced Swede who was the best men’s player on clay until Nadal’s ascent, dropped only 32 games en route to the 1978 French Open title.

Sunday’s victory also ended a three-year drought of major titles for Nadal, who won his ninth French Open in 2014 but was then superseded by Novak Djokovic while being slowed both by injuries and by dents to his confidence. Last year, he withdrew from Roland Garros after two rounds because of an inflamed tendon sheath in his left wrist.

That explains, in part, the tears that he shed in his chair after match point on Sunday.

“This tournament is the most important of the year for me, and as you can imagine, when I get here, there are nerves and emotions and the tension is big,” Nadal said. “Also, I know that I have fewer years left to succeed here.”

This season he has undeniably returned to the fore, dropping weight and recovering all the sting in his fearsome forehand, although there is much more to this resurgence than that signature shot. Nadal’s serve was a strength on Sunday, when he faced — and saved — just one break point. His two - handed backhand was decisive, too. He finished with 27 winners and just 12 unforced errors.

Wawrinka, a powerful 32 - year - old from Switzerland, simply could not keep up, cracking first in rally after rally.

He had won all three of his previous Grand Slam singles finals. He beat Nadal in the 2014 Australian Open and Djokovic in the 2015 French Open and the 2016 United States Open. But defeating a healthy, confident Nadal on the Terre battue of Paris is still one of the sport’s greatest challenges.

Nadal is 31. A lesser competitor might have lost his edge long ago, but Nadal is still sliding after drop shots and throwing his body into topspin forehands with the gusto of a younger player.

New source: nytimes.com

Posted On Monday, 12 June 2017 05:10

kumbleThe Cricket Advisory Committee(CAC) comprising Sourav Ganguly, Sachin Tendulkar and VVS Laxman has reportedly decided to retain Anil Kumble as head coach of the Indian team. The decision was taken following a meeting of CAC members during India’s match against Sri Lanka at The Oval on Thursday.
While the CAC’s decision is almost as good as final, it will have to be ratified at the June 26 Special General Meeting (SGM) after BCCI acting president CK Khanna requested acting secretary Amitabh Choudhary to defer the process.

It means Kumble will accompany the India team to West Indies. The Board feels it should defer the decision to announce the coach as it would be unwise to do that during the course of a major tournament.

The Board had invited applications for the post of coach as Kumble’s one-year tenure ends with the Champions Trophy. Virender Sehwag, Dodda Ganesh, Tom Moody, Lalchand Rajput and Richard Pybus have applied for the post while Kumble has got a direct entry.
India’s loss to Sri Lanka has made the final Group B match against South Africa crucial. If the defending champions lose, they will be out of the tournament. It would put pressure on Kumble as this is his first ICC tournament as India coach. Most of the wins under him have come at home.

News Source: msn News

Posted On Friday, 09 June 2017 09:26
Page 1 of 14

Google News

Like Us on Facebook

Web Hosting
Open Chat
1
Close chat
Hello! Thanks for visiting us. Please press Start button to chat with our support :)

Start